Sunday, January 08, 2006

If some piece of shit homeless punk dies in an alley, does anybody care?

Zambo encouraged me to post something to my blog the other day... I said that if anything happened over the weekend that got me fired up, I might feel compelled to post. Well, something happened... I came about as close as I have ever come to initiating a fistfight with another human being. I don't consider myself a violent person; I've only ever been in two fights in my adult life, and both of those incidents were times when good friends had just been sucker-punched by drunken shitheads who decided to pick on someone smaller than them. I hate that shit. Sure, I enjoy watching the UFC and there's nothing I love more than a healthy dose of graphic violence in a movie, but when it comes to the real thing, I'm usually content to stand aside and watch drunk idiots pound the hell out of each other. I don't go looking for trouble.

Anyway, enough preface. Here's the deal: I went into work today (Sunday) with a screamin' hangover and an empty stomach, ie. I was not in a great mood. Not a bad, "get the fuck out of my face" mood, but not a sunny, "hey, how ya doing" kinda mood either. I figured the only thing that was gonna pick me up was a nice 12" sub, so I hit the local Subway. One Subway Club Fresh Value Meal and $13.50 later, I'm on my way to work, in a much better mood. What can I say, I'm a simple man of simple pleasures.

Then I spot this semi-toothless, 20-something street urchin, pimp strutting towards me. The pimp strut is pretty retarded to begin with, but when you're a homeless white dude who probably HAS a pimp, you shouldn't be pimp strutting. The last thing you is, is pimpin'. He sees the Subway bag in my hand and figures I'll have change for sure, so he starts angling over to my side of the sidewalk. My general policy is not to give money to panhandlers unless they look like they really need it. Like, if you're missing a limb or some shit, or you're in a wheelchair, or you're one of those dirty-hot homeless chicks, then hey, the crack is on me. Here's some change, hope things start looking up for you. If not, then enjoy the crack. There used to be a little old legless dude in a wheelchair who dressed up as Santa and panhandled in front of the Eaton Centre in Toronto at xmas time, and I would always give that guy some change when I saw him. But if you're able-bodied, under 30 and not obviously insane, then I got nothing for ya. And if you're one of these punk-as-fuck, mohawk-sporting, $200 worth of tats and piercings street kids, wearing $150 Doc Martens and hanging with your pet pit bull, go to fucking hell. Even if it's xmas, you're not getting any of my cash. Go get a paper route, motherfucker. Anyway, this piece of shit fell into the latter category - he was in his 20s, no obvious physical deformities or disabilities, and he wasn't screaming at parking meters so I figured he still had most of his marbles. I was already shaking my head and saying "No, sorry" as he slurred, "Hey man, can you spare some change?", even though I had a pocket full of it (poker winnings from last night). So he says "I just wanna get a sub like you, you fuckin asshole!" For about... one-thousandth of a second... I thought to myself, maybe I should give him some change. Who knows what kind of shit this guy's been through in his life? Maybe he got kicked out of his home by his parents, maybe he does have mental problems that aren't immediately obvious... maybe his dad shoved a cricket bat up his ass and made him wear women's clothing when he was younger. But then the "you fuckin' asshole" part started ringing in my ears, and a curtain of red descended over my vision. I'm not even joking, I literally saw red. I always thought that was just an expression but it turns out it actually happens. Weird. I thought, Who the hell does this worthless bag of shit think he is? I'm a fucking asshole because I don't feel like giving this kid money to feed his crack habit? It's my responsibility to give him the money I worked for, at a job I'm really starting to hate, the job I'm going to on a fucking SUNDAY AFTERNOON while he's be-bopping down the street harassing people, and if I don't give him my money, that makes me an asshole?? Like I said, I'm not very confrontational, but this little fucker suddenly had a bullseye right in the middle of the fuzzy grey lumps that I suppose were once front teeth. I had some kind of weird tunnel vision and my only thought was, "I think I'm gonna punch this guy in the face as hard as I possibly can." I turned to him and said, "What'd you fucking say?" He had already turned and was walking away, but he stopped and faced me. "Nothing, man, don't worry about it..." I suddenly realized that I was wearing my knapsack, which could be a burden if it came down to fisticuffs, so I started taking it off. I said again, "What did you fucking say?" and he muttered something about getting a sub because he was hungry. A couple of smart-ass replies ran through my head, something about being hungry for fists, or, "Why don't you eat a bowl of crack?", but I was too pissed to mount any sort of witty retort. Instead I said, "Why don't you get a fucking job, asshole?" and walked away. Yeah, I know... real original. Bet he's never heard that one before. You know how you always think of the perfect comeback line way too late to actually use it, like when George came up with his "jerk store" line on Seinfeld? Well, once the rage-induced adrenaline wore off and my hands stopped shaking, I spent the next two hours or so replaying the entire incident in my head (instead of concentrating on my work). I was trying to figure out a better way to have handled it. It was really bothering me that some worthless punk who was probably tonguing some guy's balls for $5 at that very moment had gotten under my skin so badly. Then I realized, the perfect response to this shitheel would have been one of two options: 1) throw my sub into the street and see if he runs into traffic to fetch it, or 2) unwrap the sub and toss it in the trash right in front of him, then tell him it's all his. Either of those options would have been well worth the $13.50. Since Zambo and I tend to frequent the downtown core quite often on our daily quest for a delicious lunch, there's a good chance I might run into this guy again. So the good news is, I might be posting more. The bad news is, I'm probably going to blow $13.50 on a sub just so I can throw it into the street for him to fetch.

Aaaight, boys and girls, I gotta get some sleep.

8 comments:

Zambo said...

Hey Beatdogg!

Good post, buddy. If ever a town needed an enema, it's the town in which we work...

Chuck Palahniuk, in his most recent book "Haunted", shares a phrase describing the after-the-fact witty comment:

People in France have a phrase: "Spirit of the Stairway". In French: Esprit de l'Escalier. It means that moment when you find the answer but it's too late. Say you're at a party and someone insults you. You have to say something. So under pressure, with everybody watching, you say something lame. But the moment you leave the party....

As you start down the stairway, then -- magic. You come up with the perfect thing you should've said. The perfect crippling put-down.

That’s the Spirit of the Stairway.


Perhaps one of these days we can "Bateman" a homeless guy on our lunch break to take the edge off...(mostly kidding)...

I'll post about Stern's first show today...

Take care.

Your Pal,

Zambo.

BeatDogg said...

Yo Zambeezy

Yeah, I've heard that French thing before... we should coin our own term for it in English, and try to make it as popular as "jumping the shark". What could we call it... the couldawouldashoulda? The jerkstore? People would be like, "Dude, I jerkstored this guy so bad the other day..." That sounds kinda gay, though. Maybe we could call it the "post-burnem"...

I feel dizzy. Time to sleep. Gotta get up and hate tomorrow.

Beatdogg

Jeff said...

Good Lord! I just checked in here at random, fully expecting that you wouldn't have updated! But I was wrong! God bless you, Beatdoggins!

Anyway, it's really funny that you wrote this post... I wrote something very similar this afternoon. But your story contains much more cause for genuine rage, whereas my story is just stupid.

You should post more.

Zambo said...

Beatdogg.

You been tagged, sucka!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

S* said...

Hey Beatdogg...I'm glad you've been posting again. I like your comments and have wondered about what else goes on in that head of yours.

BeatDogg said...

Hey S*, thanks for the comment... sorry it took me so long to reply. Lately all my blog-time has been taken up by reading Zambo's posts... the man is cranking em out like he's on fire. I've got a post brewing inside right now... it should be ready to hatch soon. Perhaps this weekend. It's gonna be a rant about religion...

Poody, thanks for your comment too. Now that's it been a little while since "the incident", I've gotten a little perspective on it and no longer wish to inflict a five-fingered root canal on that guy. I think it was just my circumstances (hungover, hungry, unhappy about work) at that moment that got me so fired up. But a lot of it also has to do with what I see on a daily basis in the world around me/us: a lot of people have no concept of personal responsibility whatsoever. A while ago Howard Stern shared the Secret of Life with his listeners, and although it sounded ridiculous at the time, in retrospect, it makes a lot of sense. In a nutshell, the Howard Stern Secret of Life is this: do the right thing. Sounds pretty simplistic, right? Maybe it is... but if you add "And if you do the wrong thing, don't blame somebody else" to it, it really makes a lot of sense. Look at these people who sue McDonald's because they're morbidly obese; you can't tell me they don't know that McD's is horrendously bad for their health, but they don't see it as their responsibility to do anything about it. So now they expect someone else to pay. Or take this homeless guy: maybe he's had a shit life thus far, and that drove him to whatever he's currently addicted to. But at some point he made choices that brought him to his present situation. Sure, there are a lot of other components that factor into the equation, but the bottom line is that the responsibility lies with him, not with you or me. That was what pissed me off: his insinuation that I owed him something. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now. I'm a calm blue ocean of serenity...

kimber said...

Once, in a fit of generousity, I gave a homeless man my sandwich, and y'know what he did? He looked at it, sniffed it, and said, "oh. sourdough bread. i hate sourdough."

I was SO FREAKING ANGRY, because I certainly didn't want it back, after being sniffed under his grotty, snotty nose. Not only did I spent the rest of the day angry, I was HUNGRY, TOO.

So, while your ideas of tossing the sandwich, into the street or into the trash, are certainly inspired, you were wise to keep it. Really. It's no fun, being furious on an empty stomach. I'd much rather volunteer my time than give anyone my hard-earned cash, considering I already have banks, credit card companies and big corporations stealing the pennies out of my pockets....

BeatDogg said...

Hey Kimber, thanks for dropping by. You make a good point: if I had thrown the sandwich into the street and then he just laughed at me, murder may have ensued. I don't take food lightly...

Man, I don't know how you kept your cool when he turned down the sourdough... and sourdough RULES. I guess beggars CAN be choosers, huh?